This information can assist you in the process. If you need additional help, you can always schedule an appointment with one of our career consultants.
Establish initial program selection criteria.
When selecting graduate school programs, look for those that will best meet your career and learning objectives. To do this, you must first conduct a thorough self-evaluation. Only by clearly defining your own needs and expectations can you begin to select appropriate programs.
To establish your own criteria for selecting programs, answer the following questions:
- What must a graduate program offer academically in order to meet your career goals?
- What do you want to get out of a program?
- What size program/university do you want to attend?
- In what geographical locations are you willing to attend graduate school?
- What else might you want from a program?
You are now ready to develop a list of programs to consider.
As you look at programs, don’t forget to compare them to the criteria that you’ve constructed. How do they measure up? Ideally, you want to develop a list of approximately 15 to 20 schools in which you have an initial interest. After you’ve defined your program expectations, it’s time to find the ones that will most closely match your requirements. The resources listed below may prove useful as you conduct your program search.
www.petersons.com/gradchannel — Search for programs by field of study
www.gradschools.com — Search for programs by field of study
www.mastersdegreeonline.org — Search for programs by institution size, geographic area, tuition cost and school type
www.onlinephdprograms.org — Find and compare well-respected doctorate programs online. Search by institution size, geographical area, tuition cost and school type
www.princetonreview.com/grad — Use the advanced search feature to locate schools based upon your needs and preferences
www.usnews.com — View graduate school rankings
www.utexas.edu/world/univ/state — View listing of US universities by state or by alphabetical breakdown
LSU Career Information Center
LSU Olinde Career Center has books with lists of graduate school programs. Center hours are from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Professional associations & accrediting bodies
- CHEA Programmatic Accrediting Organizations Directory provides a directory of specialized and professional accrediting organizations
- What can I do with a major in...? lists career links by major, including related professional organizations