References are a good way for employers to gain insight into your skills and work experience.
- It is always best to use professional references as opposed to family and friends.
- Professional references include supervisors, faculty members, student organization advisors, etc.
- Always follow the lead of the company you are applying with. Do not send references to them unless they ask for them. Usually a company will request 3-5 references.
- You must ask references if they will serve as a reference before actually listing them.
- You want to use the same heading as your résumé for your references page. Remember to include your name, address, phone number and e-mail.
- References can either be aligned to the left or centered down the page.
- Include as much information as possible about your reference including name, title, company name, as well as e-mail, address, and phone number.